Scenario: Dexter Identifying Learning Outcomes For Learning Possibilities

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
KelDee

Scenario: Dexter Identifying Learning Outcomes For Learning Possibilities

Post by KelDee » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:26 am

Can someone please help me identify the specific learning outcomes here for my answers. I'm slightly confused as I originally had outcome 1 for example, but maybe it needs to be 1.1 or 2.1???? Any help is very much appreciated.

Question - Developmentally appropriate learning possibilities
Identify four experiences or opportunities (learning possibilities) that you could implement to support Dexter’s learning and development. In selecting your activities, give careful consideration to what you know about his strengths, interests and needs so that you can plan accordingly. You need to also outline why you have selected the particular activity or opportunity for Dexter

Here are my answers

Activity 1:
I have chosen Dinosaur Ice Dig.
Brief description: Freeze some small dinosaurs in large blocks of ice. Use an activity tub which is large enough for all the children to fit around and use together, have the children try to melt the ice in order to retrieve the frozen dinosaurs using a salt shaker and squeeze droppers by dropping coloured water onto the ice. They can also use small safe mini chisels to chip away at the ice.

Rationale

This experience really covers a range of outcomes for children. I would like to actually explain to the children that we have chosen it because our friend Dexter loves dinosaurs and it allows Dexter to feel a bit special in his new environment. It really sparks interest for young children watching the process, even if they chose not to physically join in. I chose it for the main reasons being that I’m aware of Dexter’s love for dinosaurs so it should hopefully get him involved. By using droppers it will help with his fine motor skills. Putting coloured water bottles to use with the droppers will firstly give the children another opportunity to identify the different colours, but will also make the ice all different colours and blend the colours so we can talk about the rainbow of colours they are creating. We can also sing a song about colours as we go along or a dinosaur stomp song. This promotes verbal skills, questioning and curiosity for the children. It’s also a basic scientific experiment watching how the ice melts when met with salt and coloured water. They must also work together to melt the ice and get out the dinosaurs which promotes team work. It is also sensory play with the combination of the ice and water, plus as the dinosaurs start to emerge from the ice they will be able to feel what part is exposed first, like spiky tails or a pointy horn. This should be an enjoyable, fun experience which allows children the opportunity to work with their friends to achieve an outcome, communicate with peers and educators, feel confident in what they are doing, develops a connection with their world and helps them become confident learners.

Activity 2:
Colour and shape sorting using mini tongs
Brief description:
Using different small objects of different colours, these items must be sorted into their appropriate colours and shape trays using mini tongs.

Rationale
I have chosen this because not only is this interesting to Dexter and his needs, but it will benefit all the children in his age group. It will develop the fine motor skills using the tongs and also help them match up the appropriate colours and shapes making them think and focus appropriately using basic matching and mathematical concepts. It also gives plenty of opportunities for communicating and asking questions and even singing songs with the kids eg. I can sing a rainbow (colours song). This can also be used as a sensory experience for young children as the items that can be used are things like pom poms or pieces of different textured paper etc. Educators can discuss how things feel to touch.

Activity 3:
Books and song CD books about animals
Brief description:
Have the group sitting down and ready to listen. There are heaps of sing a long books that can be used with this age group which involve animals. My top picks
1. No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
2. Animal Action ABC – a great book which asks young children to imitate 26 animals as it goes through the alphabet. The movements involve leaping, boxing, jumping and stretching.
3. We’re going on a bear Hunt
4. A Frog in the Bog
5. Glumph went the little Green Frog
6. There were Ten in the Bed
Rationale -
I do get the impression, based on the information given above, that Dexter is a little more sedentary than what is recommended for this age group and therefore it is vital that his time at day care offers chances for him to move. Anything that involves movement of the body that also allows children to be engaged and learning at the same time is obviously fun and beneficial. These books will also appeal to Dexter because he is interested in animals. Books like the abovementioned promote physical movement which develops gross motor skills, as well as learning and listening skills as the kids can be encouraged to do certain actions when they hear certain words. It’s also fun that they do it as a group as they can laugh together and helps with social interaction, especially if the group has to work together at times. The bear hunt book is great for young children as they love to imagine themselves walking through muddy swamps etc and then finding the bear and running home to safety. These books also help incorporate mathematical thinking and also patterns in their minds as they remember the steps involved throughout. I feel it is very important that children move their bodies and if you can use concepts that they enjoy, like animals, then it’s even better!

Activity 4:
Fun with chalk

Brief description:
Let the kids draw with chalk. Supply fat chalk and skinny chalk. This is intended as an outdoor activity where chalk boards and dusters are supplied, but there are also surfaces that they can draw on like pavement or cement so the educator must find a large area appropriate and safe to do this.

Rationale
Lots of children enjoy chalk and offering them two different types of chalk will help to cater for the different fine motor needs of the group. The educator can be involved here and draw numbers, shapes, the alphabet, their names or even trace around their bodies. It was noted that Dexter wasn’t too interested or engaged with painting, so looking at a different creative avenue to foster and encourage enjoyment of art by using something basic, but fun like chalk will hopefully help here! On the small boards children also really enjoy dusting off the chalk and the dusters which is another great use of their hands, as well as sensory by having the dry chalk dust all over their little hands. Chalk promotes opportunity for conversation and although basic it will help develop colour recognition, sorting, mathematical, letters and matching skills and it’s FUN! Through tracing their bodies (if room permits) you can label the parts of the body which helps kids identify with themselves and different body parts.

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Dexter Identifying Learning Outcomes For Learning Possibilities

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:24 am

I'm not familiar of the scenario but could it be:

4.1 Children develop dispositions for learning such as curiosity, cooperation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity

This is evident when children:

•express wonder and interest in their environments.
•are curious and enthusiastic participants in their learning.
•use play to investigate, imagine and explore ideas.
•follow and extend their own interests with enthusiasm, energy and concentration.
•initiate and contribute to play experiences emerging from their own ideas.
•participate in a variety of rich and meaningful inquiry-based experiences.
•persevere and experience the satisfaction of achievement.
•persist even when they find a task difficult.

Ref: How Children Achieve Outcomes

:geek:,
Lorina

KelDee

Re: Scenario: Dexter Identifying Learning Outcomes For Learning Possibilities

Post by KelDee » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:15 am

Thank you so much :-)